Obesity Prevalence Maps
Obesity prevalence in 2013 varies across states and regions
- No state had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%.
- 7 states and the District of Columbia had a prevalence of obesity between 20% and <25%.
- 23 states had a prevalence of obesity between 25% and <30%.
- 18 states had a prevalence of obesity between 30% and <35%.
- 2 states (Mississippi and West Virginia) had a prevalence of obesity of 35% or greater.
- The South had the highest prevalence of obesity (30.2%), followed by the Midwest (30.1%), the Northeast (26.5%), and the West (24.9%).
Prevalence* of Self-Reported Obesity Among U.S. Adults by State, BRFSS, 2013
Source: Behavorial Risk Factor Surveillance Systems, CDC.
*Prevalence estimates reflect BRFSS methodological changes started in 2011. These estimates should not be compared to prevalence estimates before 2011.